BDA Food Fact Sheets: Fats Getting the Balance Right – Information Sources
- Dietary composition: Department of Health. Dietary Reference Values for Food, Energy and Nutrients for the United Kingdom. 1991. Report of the Panel on Dietary Reference Values of the Committee on Medical Aspects of Food Policy.
- Prevention of Chronic Diseases: World Health Organisation (2003) Report of a Joint WHO/FAO Expert Consultation on Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases, WHO, Geneva. Mead AG et al (2006). Dietetic Guidelines on Food and Nutrition in the secondary prevention of CVD – evidence from systematic review of RCT (second update) Journal Human Nutrition and Dietetics: 19; 401-419. Cardiovascular risk assessment and the modification of blood lipids for the primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease. NICE CG 67 May 2008
- Dietary Fats and Coronary Heart Disease (and risk): Hu FB, Manson JE, Willett WC (2001) Types of Dietary Fat and risk of CHD: a critical review. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 20: 5-19. Melanson KJ (2007) Dietary factors in reducing risk of cardiovascular disease. American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine 1: 24-28 Hu FB & Willett WC (2002). Optimal diets for the prevention of coronary heart disease. Journal of the American Medical Association 288: 2569-2578 Hu FB, Sacks F and Willett W (2001) Dietary fats and the prevention of cardiovascular disease. British Medical Journal 323: 1000. Stanner S (Ed)(2005) Cardiovascular disease: Diet, Nutrition and Emerging Risk Factors BNF. Blackwell Publishing for the British Nutrition Foundation.
- Omega 3 fats/oils and their health benefits: Hooper et al (2006) Risks and benefits of omega 3 fats for mortality, cardiovascular disease, and cancer: systematic review. BMJ, 332: 752-760. Professional Consensus. Foods Standards Agency Committee on Toxicity (2004) Advice on Fish Consumption: Benefits and Risks. London TSO
- Trans fats and Health: Trans Fats and Health. Briefing Paper from the BMA Board of Science. August 2011
- Diet and Cancer: WCRF/AICR Second Expert Report (Nov 2007): Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity and the Prevention of Cancer: A Global Perspective Geneva