BDA Food Fact Sheets
References - Soya and Health
- Heany RP et al. Soybean phytate content: effect on calcium absorption. Am J Clin Nutr 1991; 53 (3): 745-7.
- Jones et al (1998) Development and application of high performance liquid chromatographic method for the analysis of phytoestrogens. J. Food Sc. And Agric; 46:357-364.
- Boyan S, et al (2001) Phytoestrogens and the menopause results from the UK Women's Cohort Study. Proc. Nut.Soc;60:203A
- FSA (2002); Draft report of the COT working group on Phytoestrogens.
- Law MR et al (1994) Systematic underestimation of association between serum cholesterol concentration and ischemic heart disease in observational studies: data from the BUPA study. BMJ;308:363-366.
- Anderson JW et al (1995) Meta analysis of the effects of soy protein intake on serum lipids. New Eng J Med;333:276-282
- Jenkins et al.Assessment of the longer-term effects of a dietary portfolio
of cholesterol-lowering foods in hypercholesterolemia. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006;
- www.jhci.org.uk (The Joint Health Claims Initiative has now closed, but the web site will remain available until 2010.)
- Greendale GA et al (2002) Dietary soy isoflavones and bone mineral density: results from the study women's health across the nation Am. J. Epidemiol; 155: 746-754
- Sturdee DW et al (1997) Clinical symptoms of oestrogen deficiency. Curr Obstet & Gynaec; 7:190-196
- The North American Menopause Society (2000) The role of Isoflavones in Menopausal Health: Consensus opinion of the North American Menopause Society, Menopause;Vol 7. No4
- Potter JD et al, (1996) Vegetables, fruit and phtooestrogens as preventative agents. In: Stewart BW, McGregor D, Kleihues P, eds Priniples of Chemoprevention. Lyon, France. Research on Cancer 61-90.
- Hsieh C et al (1998) Estrogenic effects of genistein on the growth of estrogen receptor-positive human breast cancer (MCF-7) cells in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Res; 58:3833-3838
- Allred CD et al, (2001) Soy diets containing varying amounts of genistein stimulate growth of estrogen (MCF-7) tumors in a dose dependent manner. Cancer Res; 61:5045-5050
- Messina MJ and Loprinzi CL. Soya for breast cancer survivors: a critical review of the literature. J Nutr 2001;131(11):3095S-108S).
- COT Report- Phytoestrogens and Human Health 2003 (www.food.gov.uk)
- Joint Health Claims Initiative (JHCI) Approved health claim for soya protein and blood cholesterol http://www.jhci.org.uk/approv/schol2.htm
- US Food and Drug Administration http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/oc/ohrms/index.cfm
- The British Dietetic Association
- Messina M and Redmond G. Effects of Soy Protein and Soybean Isoflavones on Thyroid Function in Healthy Adults and Hypothyroid Patients: A Review of the Relevant Literature. Thyroid., 2006: 16(3); 249-258