Practice-based Evidence in Nutrition
Welcome to PEN!
The British Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada exclusively provide subscriptions to Practice-based Evidence in Nutrition (PEN) in the UK at no extra cost to BDA members.
PEN provides evidence-based answers to your everyday practice questions with just a click of your computer mouse. It is a dynamic knowledge translation service for food, nutrition and dietetic practice.
Developed by Dietitians of Canada with input from thought leaders in nutrition and dietetic practice, knowledge translation and technology, its powerful search tools and 'Knowledge Pathway' format are designed to deliver evidence-based guidance to your nutrition practice questions as well as provide links to client and professional tools and resources easily and efficiently.
Here are some of the Key features of PEN that make it your first choice for practice guidance:
- Powerful search capabilities.
- Graded key practice points synthesized from the literature by experts.
- Abstract-or-full-text links to cited references.
- Background documents.
- Fully referenced Evidence and Practice Guidance Summaries.
- Tested 'best practice' client tools, professional tools and resources including practice guidelines, position papers, websites.
- Searchable glossary.
- Updated regularly as evidence changes to inform a change in practice.
- Full accessibility through your computer at work, home or on the road.
- Applicable to all nutrition and dietetic practice settings.
The BDA needs UK Dietitians to write and review PEN content.
We also need ...
- Members who can review the quality of existing client tools.
- Members who can recommend evidence-based resources.
- Members who can produce new resources.
If you are a BDA member that has expert knowledge in any of these areas and this initiative captures your interest, we are eager to hear from you. Please express your interest by email to email@example.com or contact our BDA PEN Team via Ingrid Darnley, Policy Officer Clinical Quality.
Phone 0121 200 8076 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your response please include a short (no more than one page) description of your expertise in your area of interest; and what experience you have in that role or alternatively, send a recent C.V. All expressions of interest will be acknowledged by email and those selected for participation will be contacted as we proceed to develop each knowledge pathway.
We hope you will consider becoming a “PEN pal”.
- PEN web site.
- Introduction and prices.
- Detailed PEN information Sheet.
- Invitation to heads of Nutrition and Dietetic Services: the benefits for dietetic managers of how PEN can improve dietetic service while reducing costs (new).
- Read the latest PEN e-newsletter.
- Frequently Asked Questions (general).
- Frequently Asked Questions for BDA Members.
- BDA payment guidance including Paypal.
- PEN current list of pathways (link to PEN website).
- BDA website.