I work exclusively with clients who have a brain injury, spinal cord injury, cerebral palsy or amputation (once they have been discharged back into the community) and only accept referrals from case managers and solicitors.
Clients are most commonly referred to me for:
– managing gut-related problems (eg. diarrhoea, constipation, bloating, abdominal pain, irritable bowel syndrome)
– managing pre-diabetes or Type 2 diabetes
– healing pressure sores
– helping clients lose or gain weight
– helping clients with dysphagia (swallowing problems) come up with interesting and flavourful meal ideas
– helping clients with taste and smell loss
I have a very holistic approach and initial assessments not only discuss someone’s weight and eating habits, but I also review (or request) blood test results and medical history and screen for issues around skin integrity, gut-related issues, swallowing problems, nausea/vomiting/reflux, oral health issues, mental health issues and physical activity. All of these factors can have a huge impact on someone’s eating habits.
Assessments generally last 2 hours so there is lots of time to discuss what is going on and can accommodate any challenges someone may have with communication or cognitive functioning. Appointments are offered as home visits at any time of day. I am also happy to liaise with other members of the multi-disciplinary team (eg. physio, OT) if required.
Follow up can be conducted by video or secure chat messaging if distance is an issue. Clients also receive a written action plan after every appointment.
Please get in touch if there is anything I can do to help.