Dietitians Week 2014
Dietitians Week history
The world’s first Dietitians Week, took place from 9-13 June 2014. Dietitians Week was created as part of the our wider campaign, Trust a Dietitian/Know Your Worth, which was the former BDA Honorary Chairman’s theme during her term in office (Sian O’Shea 2013-2015).
Dietitians Week encouraged members to promote the impact and value of the profession. This was done by inviting members to hold local awareness raising events in their clinics, hospitals and private practices, whilst we held national political events throughout the four countries inviting key stakeholders to attend.
Awareness raising events
In 2014, four parliamentary receptions were held:
- The Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh, sponsored by Nigel Don MSP (SNP).
- Stormont in Northern Ireland, sponsored by Edwin Poots MLA (DUP) .
- The House of Lords at Westminster, sponsored by Lord Richard Balfe, and
- The Welsh Assembly in Cardiff, sponsored by Mark Drakeford AM.
The Scottish political event took place ahead of Dietitians Week to take advantage of a wider Trade Union Congress Scottish event.
BDA member events
- During Dietitians Week 2014, more than 200 local events took place around the UK led by BDA member dietitians, support workers and dietetic students.
- International events also took in Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Bali, Canada, Netherlands, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, South Africa and Spain.
Social Media Activity & Reach
- We ran three online chats with @RDUKChat about meat free monday, fat and nutrition secrets.
- The Dietitians Week online Thunderclap invited members to sign up to an automated tweet to mark the start of the event. 385 people signed up.
To ensure as many BDA members as possible had access to Trust a Dietitian/Dietitians Week resources, a number of useful and informative resources were developed for members to download and use including fact sheets, cases studies, leaflets, press release template, logos and toolkits.
We also funded merchandise packs which included branded pens, pencils, post-its, trolley coins, and window stickers. We received over 200 individual requests for merchandise packs, and were able to fulfil just over 100 of these.
We were overwhelmed by the huge positive response we received from our members, partners and stakeholders (nationally and internationally) in forming the world's first Dietitians Week in 2014. This response assisted us in deciding to make Dietitians Week an established annual event in the dietetic calendar.