Croydon University Hospital undertook an audit to assess the impact of a newly formed Nutrition Support Team (NST), comparing the use of parenteral nutrition (PN) 1 year pre & post implementation.
- NST led to reduced inappropriate use of PN and a reduction of 132 PN days.
- Peripheral administration of PN reduced by 183.5 days in line with NCEPOD recommendations (A mixed bag NCEPOD 2010).
- Reduction in the patients having PN whilst awaiting enteral nutrition
- Reduced use of emergency PN
- An estimate of £20,671 was saved as a result.
Croydon University Hospital NHS Trust.