As both the professional body and trade union for the dietetic profession, we’re committed to providing our members with real value for money for their membership. Therefore we've worked hard to provide a useful bespoke set of tangible benefits and services (worth over £1,600) to cater for our members' professional needs.
These benefits and services cover a wide range of areas including representative and legal, education and professional development, resources, promotion, events and saving money. They provide our members with the support, guidance, evidence-base and good practice to help them develop themselves, their services and the profession.
If you are a BDA member, please login so you can access all your benefits
Why BDA Membership adds up to a great deal...
|BDA Benefit Overview (Full Members)||Benefit by Category Overview|
Top valued benefits for 2017
Here are just some of the most valued benefits our members told us they couldn't do without in 2017:
- Professional Indemnity Insurance – now a mandatory requirement by the HCPC.
- An expert trade union team just a phone call away to help with any workplace issue or problem.
- Legal advice and support for HCPC hearings and representation.
- The huge PENevidence-based practice online system.
- Local CPD and networking events via our BDA branches
- Access to 17 specialist groups for useful information, resources, networking and CPD events.
- Our website bda.uk.com for useful member-only tools and resources e.g policy statements, usefulinfluencing toolkit, and practice guidance documents such as our safe staffing and caseload management guidance resource.
- Patient and public facing resources including our Food Fact Sheets.
- Dietetics Today magazine for professional news and clinical articles.
- Latest research findings via our Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics.
What else we do for our members..
Alongside the tangible benefits, we have our finger on the pulse, so are well aware of the ongoing challenges and changes our members face in their day to day dietetic roles. Thats why we continue to prioritise our resources to ensure we are always effectively supporting our members across vital work areas, including:
- Lobbying key stakeholders to make professional aspirations a reality and push professional boundaries. For example: Dietitians being able to prescribe medications (as per agreed protocols).
- Promoting the profession via national awareness-raising campaigns such as Trust a Dietitian and creating the annual Dietitians Week.
- Enabling members to access tools and resources to influence at a local level
- Driving demand for and highlighting the value of dietetics politically across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Reducing the threat from non-regulated nutritional therapists and those calling themselves similar by promoting the importance of always using a HCPC registered Dietitian.
- Protecting dietetic jobs and service provision amidst ongoing challenges facing the NHS.
- Fighting and ballot for fairer pay within the NHS via the BDA’s dedicated Trade Union team.
- And much more
Check out some of our core activities in 2015
Summary of benefits and services....
Professional Indemnity Insurance
We provide you with Professional Indemnity Insurance for up to £3,000,000 in any one claim and up to £5,000,000 in aggregate for the membership year. This insurance formspart of BDA membership and is suitable (and essential) liability cover for dietitians in their day to day roles. This cover, alongside robust industrial relations support through our Trade Union ensures completely independent and personalised support and cover. Find out more about BDA Professional Indemnity Insurance.
Legal Support and Advice
The BDA is both your Professional Body and your Trade Union which means we have a dedicated team of Union experts on hand to assist you across a range of areas and ultimately exists to represent and support you throughout your working life.The BDA has also partnered with Thompsons Solicitors, the UK's largest employment rights law firm, to provide members with 24/7 legal support and advice. Read more about BDA l& advice.
Practice-based Evidence in Nutrition (PEN)
Access the dynamic evidence-based international resource which is invaluable for your day to day roles and is complimentary for the duration of your BDA membership (usually costing £390.00 per person per year). Find out more about PEN
Representing the Profession
The BDA represents the profession with one voice for the best interests of its members to national organisations, stakeholders and partners and to influence and lobby government policy. BDA members can highlight their professional body membership by using the BDA logo (Full Members only) and Trust a Dietitian (TAD) logo. Read moreabout how the BDA respresents the profession and how members can promote themselves (BDA members only) and influence locally.
Dietetics Today Online
In addition to receiving the official BDA members magazine Dietetics Today (DT) by post, BDA members can also read DT digitally, including unseen features and online articles. Access DT Online
BDA members can access the very latest in expert research via their online editions of the Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics (JHND) including many archived articles and features.
Dietetic Manuals and BDA Book Series
Members receive up to 35% discount on the Manual of Dietetic Practice , the BDA's new Book Series collection, and other nutrition and dietetic manuals from Wiley publications.
Read latest editions and archived copies of the BDA's monthly members only e-newsletters: Members' Monthly - the latest professional and BDA news, events and activities and Circulate UK - policy and practice information. Sign up and access BDA