To further develop the knowledge and skills in the management of coeliac disease.
This blended learning course is aimed at those dietitians who have completed the online “Introduction to Coeliac Disease and it’s management” course and are looking to further their skills and dietetic practice. We will discuss the complexities of Coeliac disease, patient compliance and the nutritional adequacies of the gluten free diet. Along with discussions on dietetic led coeliac services and case studies.
It is for those who may be considering taking / or have just started working in a specialist role in this area
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Describe the nutritional conditions associated with coeliac disease
- Discuss the nutritional adequacy of the gluten free diet
- Discuss the issues related to dietary compliance
- Explain how to design a dietetic led coeliac service
- Apply dietetic knowledge of coeliac disease to case studies
Pre-course reading and information
- Before attending this session delegates are required to complete the online module, details willbe sent yo you prior to tour attendance on the face to face element
Reflect on own practice –
- What does your dietetic service offer? What is missing from your locality?
- Consider the cost and availability of gluten free foods and any difficulties someone with coeliac disease may experience when shopping for a gluten free diet.
- Consider your patients locality, socio-economic and environmental status and how this may influence their knowledge of and access to gluten free foods
Bring notes with you to the session and be prepared to discuss within the workshops.