To consolidate practice in the nutritional management of adults with diabetes
The course will be suitable for dietitians who wish to increase their general diabetes knowledge with a view to begin practising at specialist level.
By the end of the course delegates will:
- Be knowledgeable about current antihyperglycaemic medications (oral and injectable therapies including insulin) and understand the dietary implications of the respective drug’s action including ADA/ EASD consensus on the management of type 2 diabetes (T2DM).
- Have an understanding of the role of weight management in the prevention, management and remission of T2DM.
- Be familiar with national dietary guidelines (Diabetes UK dietary guidelines) and able to list the recommendations
- Be aware of various dietary approaches such as the Mediterranean diet, low carbohydrate (CHO) diets, VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diets) and the evidence for their use in T2DM
At the end of this module you will:
- Have an understanding of CHO awareness along with a basic understanding of CHO counting and insulin dose adjustment including how to relay the message to patients
- Be aware of the benefits of regular physical activity
- Be able to translate theory into practice in a variety of clinical scenarios
- Reflect on current practice and identify strategies for increasing knowledge and skills
Register your interest
There are currently no confirmed dates for this course, but if you'd like to receive a notification email when a date is available, please fill in the form below and we'll be in touch.