This course is designed for dietitians who have previously taken part in the consolidating dietetic practice course, or those with experience in diabetes management who are looking to further their skills and dietetic practice. Although type 2 and other types of diabetes are covered, the course involves a lot of type 1 diabetes.
This course will briefly recap carbohydrate counting before looking at insulin dosing including looking at insulin pump therapy and recapping hypoglycaemia. The day will then move on to specialist areas of pre-conception, pregnancy and lactation; Nutrition Support, Cystic Fibrosis and Coeliac Disease. Finally, we will look at insulin and dietary management in physical activity.
To advance practice in the dietetic management of diabetes.
By the end of the course delegates will:
- Review carbohydrate counting in the management of diabetes
- Examine the role of insulin, including adjustment, in terms of total carbohydrate consumed, blood glucose levels and exercise
- Formulate appropriate advice for people on pump therapy
- Examine the main considerations of dietary management of the people with diabetes who are physically active
- Apply nutritional management of pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Translate theory into action in a variety of clinical scenarios
- Appraise current practice and formulate strategies for increasing knowledge and skills