This course has been developed to help dietitians obtain the necessary knowledge and skills to undertake appropriate dietetic assessment, management and monitoring of patients who have chronic kidney disease (CKD) stages 3-5 on the CKD patient care pathway. The day aims specifically to support the development of registered dietitians in the autonomous care and treatment of individuals diagnosed with CKD stages 3-5. Produced in partnership with the BDA Renal Nutrition Group, this course has been developed for specialist or advanced dietitians working in both primary and secondary care, at NHS Band 6-7.
To provide the registered Dietitian with knowledge and skills to enable an evidence-based approach when advising and treating patients with chronic kidney disease stages 3-5.
By the end of the course delegates will be able to:
- Critically discuss the evidence base that underpins the medical and dietetic management of a patient with Chronic Kidney Disease stage 3-5
- Identify the national guidelines relating to the identification and management of individuals with CKD
- Discuss and describe the clinical pathways for the medical diagnosis and management of individuals with CKD stages 3-5
- Critically discuss the practical dietetic management of patients with Chronic Kidney Disease stage 3-5
- Discuss and describe the underlying causes and contributing factors to the development of specific nutrition related problems requiring intervention in CKD stages 3-5
- Explain the underlying causes and contributing factors to the development of malnutrition in CKD
- Apply learning on the medical and dietetic management of patients with Chronic Kidney Disease stage 3-5
- Discuss how to obtain and interpret relevant information including diagnosis, biochemistry, medication, and complications of CKD and apply learning through case studies
- Discuss appropriate dietetic assessment and initiating dietetic intervention and monitoring as part of the patient care pathway and apply learning through case studies
- Demonstrate practical aspects of diet therapy in individuals with CKD stages 3-5 through application of learning