Tools and Information
This page brings together links to useful tools and information to help you with any influencing or advocacy you may want to undertake.
We’re always looking to add to this, so if you have a good case study, have found a useful resource or just want to suggest something you want us to develop, please get in touch!
BDA Policy Statements
The BDA maintains a selection of evidence-based and referenced policy statements which can be shared with policymakers, the public and the media to provide clear statements of the BDA’s position on a range of important topics. New policy statements are constantly under development and all are subject to regular review. See the full list of BDA policy statements here.
Key Fact Sheets
These A4 leaflets are written by BDA specialist groups and aim to promote and describe to the general public (and your stakeholders) the role of dietitians in their specialities. These leaflets will help you build your messages. We will keep adding to this list in the future. See the full list of Key Fact sheets here.
The BDA responds to consultations on a regular basis, and like Policy Statements, these give a clear indication of the Association's view on a particular subject. If you are planning on trying to influence in your local area, it might be worth checking to see if the BDA has already pulled together some of the key arguments. These responses are written in conjunction with specialist groups and subject matter experts and published on the Consultation pages of the website.
In February 2017, the Prescribing Dietitians Specialist Group held a training day specifically looking at influencing skills, with behaviour change specialist Karan Thomas. Karan has kindly agreed for us to share the resources from the training day, which can be accessed by members only below.
Karan Thomas is able to work with other specialist groups and branches and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
These documents and links provide background information on important issues, policies and people that you might find useful in preparing or planning your activity.
The Kings Fund publishes a range of useful briefing on healthcare matters, including:
- The NHS 10-Year Plan (England)
- Digital Change in Health and Social Care
- The alternative guide to the health and care system in England
Access all their publications here.
The NHS Confederation (in England and in Wales) produce regular briefings on a range of topics, sometimes with BDA involvement:
- The key issues for health and social care organisations as the UK prepares to leave the European Union
- Understanding STPs
- The reality behind the 2019–24 NHS funding settlement
- Finance and the NHS in Wales
- Rural Health in Wales
- A guide to Brexit Acronyms: A helpful guide to the various acronyms used in relation to the complex issue of Brexit.
- social care in Wales: Frequently asked
You can find more of their resources here.
The BDA works with public affairs firm DeHavilland, who produce various briefings which are accessably by BDA members only:
- A briefing on Brexit and devolution. (Member only)
- A report on the impact of Brexit on collaboration in Science and Research. (Member only)
- An analysis of what a "No Deal" brexit might look like (Member only)
You can contact Tom Embury at BDA head office if you would like to request a specific briefing from DeHavilland.
Other useful briefings and sources of information include:
- The Food Research Collaboration have published a briefing on Food Security Post-Brexit.
- The BMA have released a series of briefings on Brexit Issues with a Health focus, including medical research, competition and procurement and reciprocal healthcare arrangements.
- Dietitian, Nutritionist, Nutritional Therapist or Diet Expert leaflet: This short leaflet is a comprehensive guide to roles and functions of these different professionals. Useful to give to members of the public.
- The TUC have published the report "Life the cap: A fair deal for public service workers" looking at pay restriant for public sector workers over the last seven years.
- Brexit: impact across policy areas: A briefing paper produced by the House of Commons Library which looks at the potential impact of Brexit on a wide range of policy areas, including Health and Higher Education
- Health and Social Care Act 2012: Performance and Sustainability of the NHS: This Library Note from the House of Lords Library looks at the changes made to the NHS since the 2012 Act and a number of statistics relating to the sustainability of the NHS.