The BDA Research Symposium is held annually on the first Wednesday of December in Birmingham City Centre. Abstract submission is open from May until Mid July and registration for attendance opens in September.
About the Research Symposium
The BDA Research Symposium is an invaluable, useful day for practising, research dietitians and dietetic students to enhance their knowledge of the ongoing research in dietetics. It also gives delegates the opportunity to network with a vast range of dietitians in attendance.
Research is the foundation of the profession providing the basis for practice, education and policy. The Research Symposium is a premier event to showcase topics impacting the profession. The BDA have been supporting research and encouraging dietitians to get involved in research by delivering a Research Symposium for Dietitians New to Research on an annual basis since 2004.
The symposium now has six main streams but no abstract will be rejected based on theme;
- Clinical Nutrition, including malnutrition
- Public Health, including freelance and industry
- New to Research, including MRes and PhD research
- Paediatric – supported by Paediatric Specialist Group - established in 2015
- Service Evaluation
Judy Lawrence, BDA Research Officer explains the aim of the event:
‘The aim of the symposia is to share dietetic research. As a profession we are embracing research to a greater extent than ever, both as consumers of research to enhance our practice and as producers to answer questions. Dietitians are increasingly asking themselves: Why am I practising this way? What if I did this? What do my patients think about that? Come to the symposium and see some of the answers to questions dietitians are asking”
The symposium aims to:
- Provide a forum for the presentation of research findings and methods in the field of nutrition and dietetics.
- Foster collaboration between researchers within the dietetic profession.
- Identify and share effective interventions and practice within the key topics of the symposium.
- Stimulate an increase in the quantity and quality research in dietetics and nutrition.
- Promotion of dietitians as leaders in the field of nutrition and dietetic research.
The event is aimed at the developing researcher with opportunities for newly qualified dietitians to present their student research projects alongside MRes, PhD and clinical dietitians’ projects. The event will enable dietitians to showcase their research and practice and participate in workshops to develop their skills.
Previous editions have seen the following attend and/or submit an abstract:
- dietitians who have completed research from Masters Dissertation, MRes, or other higher degrees.
- dietitians involved in research programmes.
- dietitians who have undertaken audit or evaluation of practice.
- dietitians working in clinical practice.
- student dietitians who have recently completed their final year dissertation projects.
The cost to attend the BDA Research Symposium usually starts from £50.00.
What to know more?
Details on the next edition and previous edition of the Research Symposium are available on the website
For information on writing a conference abstract click here.
If you have any queries please contact the BDA office on 0121 200 8080 or email email@example.com