These resources are designed to be used in conjunction with "Critical Care Specialist Group Guidance on management of nutrition and dietetic services during the COVID-19 pandemic".
Updated 24 June 2020
Other CCSG Guidance
Nutritional considerations when using acute peritoneal dialysis for the treatment of acute kidney injury (with BDA Renal Specialist Group)
Nutrition at Home after Critical Illness (with ICUsteps)
Nutrition in Hospital after Critical Illness (with ICUsteps)
Tips to Help with Eating Problems after Critical Illness (with ICUsteps)
Teaching and training resources
This is not an exhaustive list of teaching and training resources, but a good starting point for dietitians new to ICU.
- BDA CCSG Best Practice Guideline: Enteral Feeding in the Prone Position
- BAPEN Aide-Memoire: Nasogastric tube placement checks before first use in critical care settings
- ESPEN Guideline on clinical nutrition in the intensive care unit
- Early enteral nutrition in critically ill patients: ESICM clinical practice guidelines
- Guidelines for the provision and assessment of nutrition support therapy in the adult critically ill patient: Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) and American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (ASPEN)
- Lambell et al. Nutrition therapy in critical illness: a review of the literature for clinicians. Critical Care 2019. 24:35
- Bear et al. Nutrition support in adult patients receiving extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Nutrition in Clinical Practice 2018:33(6);738-746
- Bear et al. The role of nutritional support in the physical and functional recovery of critically ill patients: a narrative review. Critical Care 2017. 21:226
- BDA PENG Pocket Guide - Nutrition in Critical Care
- Critical Care Nutrition
- ESPEN Guidelines
- ASPEN Resources for clinicians caring for patients with coronavirus
- ICU nutrition made simple (hosted by Abbott Nutrition)
- Nutricia for Healthcare Professionals
- NEW - 'Nutritional management for patients recovering in the community from COVID-19' webinar by Mary Hickson and Alison Smith from the BDA Older People's Group hosted by Nestle Nutrition Institute - 27 April. Access the slides: Nutrition support in the community: Covid 19 and Nutritional management for patients recovering in the community from COVID-19.
- NEW - 'Nutrition Support Post ICU: Guidance on continuing nutrition from ICU to recovery' chaired by Danni Bear from the BDA Critical Care specialist group and supported by Nutricia - 4 May (sign up required)
- NEW - 'COVID-19 – Nutritional Support in the ICU' webinar with the BDA Critical Care Specialist Group, hosted by Nutricia (sign up required)
- NEW - Restructuring nutrition support services to facilitate care for Covid-19 patients' led by Ella Terblanche from the BDA Critical Care Specialist Group and hosted by Baxter - 16 April.
- CCP Podcast 053: Nutrition Guidelines
- CCP podcast 054: Nutrition Guidelines at ICSSOA2016
- NCP December 2018 Podcast: Nutrition Support in Adult Patients Receiving Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation
The Clinical Dietetics online membership site has set up a dedicated international discussion forum for dietitians working with patients with COVID-19 to connect, share practice and generally support each other. The membership site is free to trial for the first month and is typically £5/month after that. It is possible to cancel anytime.
In addition, Clinical Dietetics online has removed the £200 enrolment feed for the Master the Nutrition Care Process online course until June for any dietitians looking for online CPD activities or those being re-deployed into the acute setting from the community and looking for support.
Documents from UK sites
These documents have been kindly provided by UK sites as examples of their teaching to new staff. Some have specifically been developed for upskilling during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please feel free to use them and adapt them to fit with your local practices as necessary acknowledging the original author(s). These documents do not represent any position on behalf of CCSG regarding enteral / parenteral feed choice or specific practice.
- Birmingham City Nutrition in Critical Care March 2020
- Southampton General Hospital Introduction to Critical Care Dietetics
- Imperial Critical Care Dietetics – Crash Course
- Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust COVID – Basic critical care dietetics tutorial
These documents have either been developed by UK and Irish sites to help with reviews and upskilling of staff during the COVID-19 pandemic or are used for usual practice, but are considered to be useful. Please feel free to use them and adapt them to fit with your local practices acknowledging the original author(s) where appropriate. These documents do not represent any position on behalf of CCSG regarding enteral / parenteral feed choice or specific practice.
- Example template for dietetic reviews
- Example critical care dietetic pathway
- Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust ICU starter regimen (3) COVID and Prone_update March 2020
- Southampton General Hospital Guideline for commencing nutrition support in critical care March 2020
- Southampton General Hospital Critical Care Enteral Feeding starter algorithm
- Cork ICU Resource Pack
- Cork proning out-of-hours guideline for enteral feeding in patients with COVID-19
- Cork dietetic assessment template - normal BMI
- Cork dietetic assessment template - obese
- Barking, Havering and Redbridge Enteral feeding regimen for critical care (COVID-19)
- Glangwili General Hospital Enteral and Parenteral Nutrition Feeding Protocol on the Adult Critical Care Unit (COVID-19)
- Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Critical care NG and PEG feeding algorithm for COVID-19
- Bart’s Health NHS Trust Bolus Feeding Protocol
Irish Nutrition and Dietetic Institute (INDI) resources
INDI have produced an online hub of resources that may be useful for critically ill and ward based patients with COVID-19.
- Guidance for alternative feeding methods from Nutricia
- Fresenius Kabi COVID-19 BDA Statement Mar 2020 (updated 2 April 2020)
- Abbott guidelines for the management of pump resources and alternative feeding methods
- Nutrinovo healthcare professional guidance
Post ICU Nutrition Resources
- BDA Guidance on practical considerations for nutritional management of non-ICU COVID-19 patients
- Intensive Care Society - Framework for assessing early rehabilitation needs following treatment in intensive care (June 2020)
- OPTICS resources for family involvement in hospital nutrition
- Critical care recovery website with information about nutrition after ICU
- CC3N rehabilitation handover
- Malnutrition pathway