To use the title of ‘dietitian’ (UK spelling) or ‘dietician’, and to practice dietetics in the UK, it is a legal requirement to be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).
Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
The HCPC is an independent regulatory body responsible for registering 15 healthcare professions including dietetics. Their role is to protect the public by:
- Setting the standards for professionals’ education, training and practice.
- Approval of education programmes which professionals must complete to register.
- Maintain a register of professionals who meet their standards
- Take action if professionals on the register do not meet their standards.
HCPC Application Process
The application route will depend on whether you completed your training in the UK or internationally. If you have been on the HCPC register previously, regardless of where you trained, you'll apply via readmission. Find out more information on each of these routes, and other aspects of getting on the register, by following the below links to the HCPC webpages.
The HCPC will assess applications to establish if an applicant meets their standards of proficiency for dietitians. It is important you provide as much information as possible about your dietetic education, training and any additional professional experience. The information on the application form will inform their decision.
Your application will have one of the following outcomes:
- Acceptance on to the HCPC register
- A request for further information or training
- Refused admission onto the HCPC register
Please be advised that the BDA does not have input into the decisions made by the HCPC. If you do not agree with the outcome, you will need to follow their appeals process.
Once registered with the HCPC, you will be regulated by them. This means you are bound by their standards whilst practising in the UK. The following HCPC documents stipulate the standards that all UK dietitians agree to meet when registering:
- Standards of conduct, performance and ethics
- Standards of proficiency for dietitians
- Standards of continuing professional development
Take a look at our professional guidance on ‘Regulation of Dietetics’ to find out more about what is expected of you as a dietitian.