Existing members, help us grow the dietetic community
83% of HCPC registered dietitians, 1,000+ dietetic students and hundreds of dietetic support staff/assistant practitioners, nutritionists and international dietitians are already a member of the vibrant BDA membership community. As the professional body and trade union for the dietetic profession, our members believe that "all of the dietetic workforce (and all dietetic students) should be a member of the BDA." (Member survey feedback.)
BDA Member-Get-Member Campaign
Members, we need you!
We know that our member advocates, like you, are the best possible source of information to potential new members about the many benefits, resources and opportunities belonging to the BDA community has to offer. That's why we rely on you to help grow our member community, which currently totals almost 10,000 members.
We've brought back our popular member-get-member campaign and are asking you to:
Recommend your BDA membership community to your dietetic colleagues and friends, and for each new member you (an existing BDA member) introduce to join us, we’ll give you a £10 John Lewis voucher to say thank you. (See FAQs below.)
Are your dietetic colleagues, team or friends members of the BDA? Do they know all that belonging to the BDA membership community provides? From professional advice, support and member resources, to vital professional indemnity insurance and trade union cover, not forgetting events, CPD, networking, volunteering and more. Please spread the word within your workplaces and networks by recommending the BDA membership community to them and invite them to join using the below.
Why help our community grow?
The more members we have, the stronger our collective voice is at both a local and national level. This means our collective voice can be stronger when we negotiate with your employer, when we promote the impact and value of the dietetic profession, and so we can do even more to lobby and influence key stakeholders such as government, the media and the general public. All this, ultimately, drives the demand for dietetics and promotes the dietetic profession as the trusted experts when it comes to nutrition and hydration.
Helping you spread the word
Here are a few useful resources to help you spread the word in your dietetic departments and networks:
- Signpost potential new members to join us online
- Forward these handy promotional flyers to dietitians and support staff
- Highlight the benefits of BDA membership
- It's excellent value for money - worth over £2,000 a year but costing just £25 a month (for full members) or £9-13 (for associate members), why not put this useful benefits PDF up onto your department's noticeboard.
Top five benefits of membership
A great discussion point could be the Top Five benefits of BDA membership, as voted for by members in our last survey:
- Professional Indemnity Insurance - £20million aggregate cover as part of your BDA membership.
- Trade Union cover and support from local Reps and national officers, and free legal advice via BDA Legal.
- Unlimited access to PEN - the huge evidence-based database - FREE but usually worth over £390 per person/year.
- Dietetics Today Official Members Magazine - news, views and updates from accross the profession, delivered straight to your door.
- Professional tools and resources like BDA Food Fact Sheets, Model and Care Process, Digital Dietetics, Standing up for Dietetics, Clinical Practice Toolkits, Dietitians Week resources, plus expert advice, support and guidance from both your professional and trade union teams.
When is the member get member campaign running?
New member referrals will be accepted from 1 October - end Feb 2021.
Who can recommend who?
All BDA members can recommend/refer a new applicant to join us in any BDA membership category (except for student membership unfortunately, as this is already heavily subsidised being free in Year 1 and 90% discounted thereafter).
How do I receive a £10 John Lewis voucher?
It's easy - for each new applicant you recommend, after they've joined us online, they simply need to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating your full name (and BDA membership number if you know it to make things easier for us) as the existing member who referred them. When they join, we will then send you a £10 voucher in the post to the 'preferred address' you have listed in your MY BDA, as a thank you, and they will receive one too as a new member incentive.
Are there any limits on the number of vouchers I can claim?
No, so long as you refer within the campaign dates, there's no limit!
I am a BDA volunteer (e.g. trade union rep / group or branch committee member / media spokesperson) can I still recommend membership as part of this campaign?
Yes of course, you are our advocates already, so are actually best placed to tell your networks all about how you benefit as a BDA member and volunteer!