International Dietitians

If you have trained as a dietitian overseas and would like to work in the UK, you will be required to register with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). Registration with the HCPC is required to work as a dietitian in the UK.

To start the registration application process, you will need to contact the Health and Care Professions Council.

If you are established elsewhere in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you may be able to apply for Temporary registration with the HCPC. Temporary Registration applies to those applicants who wish to provide professional services in the UK on a temporary and occasional basis. Initial registration is one year in duration and may be renewed annually.

Join the BDA today!

As an international dietitian you may be able to join the BDA as an International Member.

International Students

If you are looking to study in the UK as a dietitian, universities in England, Northern Ireland and Wales are less likely to accept students from overseas. This is because the courses are funded by the National Health Service (NHS) and only UK and EU residents are eligible for this funding. Courses in Scotland have different eligibility criteria, so please contact the universities directly.

Placements for international students

In some countries dietetic training is followed by a placement year. In the UK, placements are more integrated into the academic year.

Generally UK universities do not have the provision to take on international students for placements: only NHS-funded students are eligible to undertake student placements within the NHS. However, it may be worth checking with universities direct. This is not a service that the BDA can provide.