This recipe originated in Latin America and makes a great dip or accompaniment
to fajitas and other Mexican foods. Avocados are delicious when ripe. An avocado is ready to eat if it feels soft when you gently squeeze it. Hard avocados are not very tasty and are very difficult to use in this recipe.
1 spring onion (optional)
1 small lemon (juice only) OR 1 x 15ml spoon bottled lemon juice
1 ripe avocado
100ml low-fat natural yoghurt
Ground black pepper (optional)
Juice squeezer (optional)
1. Wash, top and tail then finely chop the spring onion.
2. If using a fresh lemon, slice in half and squeeze the juice.
3. Cut the avocado in half down the long side using a sharp knife.
4. Twist and separate the two halves. Remove the stone using a spoon.
5. Spoon out the flesh and put in a small bowl, immediately add 1 x 15ml spoon of the lemon juice.
6. Mash up the avocado using a fork until it is smooth.
7. Stir in the yoghurt and spring onion (if using).
8. Put the mixture into a small serving dish.