A taco is a traditional Mexican dish made up from a corn or wheat tortilla folded around a filling. Tacos are the original fast food as you don’t need cutlery and you get to eat the packaging. We teamed up with Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute (ASMI) to create this tasty recipe. ASMI celebrates wild, natural and sustainable seafood such as salmon and pollock.
- 1 small red onion
- 2 limes
- 1 x 190g canned, no added sugar or salt sweetcorn
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 20g fresh coriander
- 4 skinless medium-sized pollock fillets
- 1 x 5ml spoon ground cumin
- ½ x 5ml spoon paprika
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 x 15ml spoon olive oil
- 8 corn tortilla wraps
- 2 small ripe avocados
3 small mixing bowls
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan oven or gas mark 7.
- Peel the red onion, slice in half and then slice finely into half-moon shapes and place in a nonmetallic bowl.
- Slice the limes in half, squeeze out the juice and pour half of it over the onions. Stir with a fork to mix the onion well in the juice and cover with clingfilm. Keep the remaining juice for later.
- Open and drain the sweetcorn and put into a small bowl. Chop the chilli in half and deseed it using a teaspoon. Chop the chilli finely and add to the sweetcorn.
- Wash and chop the fresh coriander finely in a plastic cup with scissors, add them to the chilli and sweetcorn, cover with cling film and set aside.
- Cut the fish fillets in half lengthways, so they look a bit like fish fingers and place them in your ovenproof dish.
- Mix together the cumin and paprika in a small bowl. Peel and crush the garlic and add to the spices with the olive oil and brush the mixture over the pollock.
- Place the fish in the oven for 8–10 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fillets. Once the fish is cooked through, remove it from the oven and cover loosely with tinfoil.
- Warm the tortillas as per the instructions on the packet.
- Peel the avocado, remove the stone and cut it into slices.
- Spoon the reserved lime juice over the avocado slices to prevent them going brown.
- Add some of the fish fillets to the tortillas, then a spoon of sweetcorn, onions and avocado.
- Fold and enjoy!
- The onions and corn relish can be made in advance.
- If you like things a bit spicier leave the seeds in the chilli, or to cool things down add a little low-fat natural yogurt before folding.