Is there a can of salmon sitting on your shelf? With just a few ingredients this quick and easy salmon pasta dish makes for a healthy midweek meal. Salmon contains omega-3 fatty acids which are good for our heart and vitamin D which is important for healthy bones.
1 medium onion OR leek 300g broccoli
1 x 213g can salmon in spring water
75g strong reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
1 slice wholemeal bread
300g wholemeal pasta
25g unsaturated fat spread
25g plain flour
600ml semi-skimmed milk
Black pepper (optional)
Stick blender or food
Steamer to fit on top of pan
2 litre ovenproof dish
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan or gas mark 5.
- Peel and finely chop the onion or wash, trim and slice the leek into fine rings.
- Wash the broccoli then cut it into small florets. Chop the tender parts of the stalk into small pieces and add to the florets.
- Drain the can of salmon and break the fish into chunks, removing any large bones and mashing any small ones with a fork.
- Grate the cheese and make the slice of bread into breadcrumbs with a stick blender or in a food processor.
- Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling water according to the instructions on the pack.
- Put the broccoli in a steamer and steam it above the cooking pasta for about 5 minutes or until just tender, or add the broccoli to the pasta 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Drain using a colander, reserving a little of the cooking liquid, and put into a large ovenproof dish together with the broccoli.
- Melt the spread in the medium saucepan on a medium heat and add the onion or leek. Stir until sizzling then reduce the heat and cook gently.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the flour. Cook over a low heat for 1 minute then gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Stir continuously until the sauce is simmering. Allow to bubble for 2 minutes and season with black pepper (if using).
- Take the sauce off the heat and add half the cheese. Stir until melted then add to the pasta together with the salmon. Gently mix together.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the pasta followed by the remaining cheese.Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until bubbling and golden and then serve.
Skills used include:
Washing, weighing, measuring, peeling, chopping, grating, blending, melting, boiling/simmering, steaming and baking.