Tomato Salsa is a typical accompaniment to many Mexican meals, such as beans wrapped in a tortilla or flatbread. It is great with barbecued, grilled and roasted meat and fish. Tomato Salsa is also delicious on top of plain rice.
1 x 15ml spoon olive oil
½ x 5ml spoon chilli powder
1 x 15ml spoon tomato purée
1 x 15ml spoon dried mixed herbs
4 large tomatoes OR 400g can chopped tomatoes
1 small onion
1 clove garlic
- Put the olive oil, chilli powder, tomato purée and mixed herbs into a bowl and mix together using a wooden spoon.
- Wash and chop the tomatoes in half, if using fresh. Remove the green stem core and chop into small squares. Or open the can of tomatoes. Put the tomatoes into the bowl.
- Cut the onion in half and chop it as finely as you can. Add to the bowl.
- Peel the garlic. Crush the garlic clove straight into the bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Put the salsa into a serving dish, cover with cling film and refrigerate until required.
Skills used include:
Washing, measuring, peeling, chopping, crushing and mixing/combining.