Moussaka is a traditional Greek dish made with aubergine and spiced meat. This recipe is a quick, healthy and cheaper alternative because it uses a mixture of lamb and lentils.
200g potatoes (peeled weight)
1 red onion
1 clove garlic
1 red pepper
250g lean minced lamb
140g dried red lentils
400g chopped tomatoes OR passata
250ml cold water
2 x 5ml spoons dried oregano OR mixed herbs
½–1 x 5ml spoon ground cinnamon (optional)
100g fresh OR frozen spinach (optional)
75g feta cheese
200g low-fat Greek yoghurt
Deep frying pan or large
saucepan with lid
Small mixing bowl
Deep ovenproof dish (approx. 25 x 25cm)
- Peel and slice the potatoes into ½–1cm thick slices and wash in the colander.
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 10–15 minutes (until soft). Drain in a colander and set aside for later.
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Wash the pepper and aubergine.
- Deseed the pepper, then chop the pepper and aubergine into 2cm pieces.
- Put a saucepan on medium heat, add the minced lamb and break it up with a large spoon. Wash your hands after touching raw meat. When the minced lamb is beginning to turn brown add the onions and garlic. Stir well and cook for 5 minutes. The meat will be brown and the onion will be soft.
- Add the lentils, aubergine and peppers, chopped tomatoes, water, oregano or mixed herbs and cinnamon (if using) and stir well. Bring to the boil then turn down the heat, cover and simmer (small bubbles) for 20–25 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes
and add more water if it gets too dry. If you are using spinach, add this in the last 5 minutes of cooking (last 10 minutes for frozen spinach).
- Set the grill to a medium heat.
- In a small mixing bowl, mash the feta cheese into the Greek yoghurt using a fork.
- Put the lamb and lentil mixture into an ovenproof dish and layer on the potato slices. Spoon the feta and Greek yoghurt mixture on top. Place under the grill for 5–10 minutes or until golden brown in colour, then serve.
Skills used include:
Washing, weighing, measuring, peeling, chopping, boiling/simmering, frying and grilling.