The BDA Board of Directors are made up of BDA members (just like you!) and non-members who are appointed to provide strategic leadership of the BDA.
They agree major policy, manage the Association’s finances and represent the total membership. The Board also includes representatives from Dietetic Support Workers and Students.
The Board consists of at least 12 Directors, including a Chair, a Treasurer and members from across all four UK countries. The Chair must be a member of the Association. Up to one third of the Board can be appointed from outside the profession.
All Directors must fulfil their obligations under the Companies Act and ensure the company meets its statutory and other obligations. The Directors will also lead the strategic direction for the company and the office of nearly 40 staff.
"Being on BDA Board of Directors is a really inspiring and interesting place to be! I am passionate about promoting the profession and being part of the decision making for the profession. Being on the Board of Directors has given me many opportunities to do this. I would encourage anyone who is interested in furthering our profession to get involved." Caroline Bovey BDA Honorary Chair
The BDA Board of Directors leads the profession and, more importantly, has strategic oversight of the company. Following a major governance review in 2018, Directors are appointed against a skills audit and against an agreed set of criteria and competencies.
There is a Selection Committee which interviews candidates and makes recommendations to the Board on Director appointments.
"Having the opportunity of being a company director enabled me to immerse myself in the BDA company, its financial planning and propose meaningful strategies for the dietetic profession. It also allows you to widen your national network at the same time and get to know the BDA staff employees better. Give it a go!" Michele Rae FBDA, Professional Lead and Clinical Services Manager Dietetics, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
Lay/Independent Member vacancies at the British Dietetic Association
The British Dietetic Association is the only professional association and trade union for dietitians working in the UK. It is an award winning and growing membership association with a national and international role in food and nutrition. Vacancies have arisen for non-member/lay people on its Board of Directors and its independent Selection Committee.
The Board of Directors
The Board of Directors leads the company and has oversight of its ambitious workplans and activities. With a mix of members and non-members as Directors, you will help support the Board with personal and corporate leadership experience. The appointment is for a period of 3 years in the first instance and is remunerated. With a requirement to have Directors representative of all four UK countries we are seeking a new Director who lives or works in Scotland.
- Have experience of strategic Board level activity and decision making
- Understand the role of health professions working in the UK
- Have corporate governance experience, ideally including organisational change strategies
- Understand the sensitivities of leading a professional association with members as the key stakeholders
- Be living or working in Scotland
- Be prepared to work with our Scottish Board and create links between the membership in Scotland and the Board of Directors
- Have experience of Board level roles in professional or membership bodies
- Have experience of working with health professions
The Role Descriptor for the Lay Director on the Board can be found here
The Selection Committee
The BDA’s independent Selection Committee oversees the recruitment, selection and appointment of Board Directors and other strategic member roles. It is vital that non-dietitian input into the Selection Committee assures the profession that robust recruitment and selection procedures are followed and that non-member oversight is provided. With two of its independent members standing down we are looking to appoint two new members. Appointees will be for a period of 3 years in the first instance and remunerated on a daily fee basis.
- Have experience of senior/Board level recruitment and selection
- Understand the benefit of independent members in the recruitment and selection process
- Be prepared to Chair the Selection Committee and selection panels
- Be available for selection panels on a face to face basis or virtually (depending on the recruitment process agreed)
- Have experience of professional or membership bodies
- Have experience of working with health professions
The role descriptor for the Lay Member of the Selection Committee can be found here
The BDA particularly welcomes applications from under-represented groups such as black and ethnic minority, LGBTQI+ communities and people with disabilities.
Closing date for applications is on Tuesday 30 November 2021
We aim to hold interviews the weeks of 6 and 13 December 2021
For an informal discussion about the roles please contact either the Chair, Caroline Bovey (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the CEO, Andy Burman (email@example.com)
To apply please send a CV and a letter of application (no more than two sides of A4) explaining why you are applying for the role to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will take place during December using remote meeting technology.
- Board of Director meeting minutes are made available for BDA members to view.
- Expenses form for current Board of Director members
Should you wish to find out more about the work of BDA Directors or wish to sit in on a meeting as a member observer, please contact the BDA office