Salad can be a delicious, colourful, crunchy combination of vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds, cheese and even meat or fish. Adding the blueberries and blueberry dressing gives a surprising and delicious twist to this crunchy salad.
150g French beans
100g frozen peas
1 small red onion
2 x 15ml spoons red wine vinegar
1 red OR green leafy lettuce
1 orange pepper
1 ripe avocado
1 x 15ml spoon olive oil
1 x 198g can sweetcorn
40g of fresh blueberries (optional)
150g of natural low-fat yogurt
1 x 15ml spoon honey
100g of fresh blueberries
1 x 15ml spoon lemon juice
Large mixing bowl x 2
Salad spinner (optional)
Food processor or hand blender
Serving dish (optional)
- Wash, then cut the broccoli florets from the stem and cut in half or quarters to make bite-sized pieces.
- Fill the saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Fill a mixing bowl with ice-cold water.
- Blanch the broccoli by putting it into the boiling water for 2 minutes and then scoop out with the slotted spoon and transfer to the cold water.
- Wash, top and tail the French beans and cut in half. Blanch them along with the peas and refresh them as above. You may need to change the cold water.
- Peel the onion and cut in half through the root. Slice into thin semicircles and break up the layers into a small bowl. Measure the vinegar over the onions and stir to combine.
- Wash the lettuce in plenty of cold water. Tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces and dry in a salad spinner or use kitchen roll. Place in the large mixing bowl.
- Wash, then top and tail the radishes. Cut into quarters and add them to the lettuce. Wash and deseed the pepper. Cut into bite-sized chunks and add to the bowl.
- Carefully move the onions to the large bowl, reserving the vinegar in the small bowl.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the stone. Using a teaspoon, scoop the flesh into the vinegar. Measure the oil over the avocado and mix gently to coat it.
- Carefully open the can of sweetcorn and drain it in the sieve. Rinse with cold water and add to the salad. Drain the broccoli, beans and peas using the colander, pat dry with kitchen roll and add to the salad.
- Transfer the avocado to the salad and add the blueberries.
- Place of the blueberry dressing ingredients into a food process and purée till smooth.
- Spoon over the salad.
- Using clean hands or large spoons, toss the salad until it’s well combined and transfer to your serving dish.
Skills used include:
Washing, weighing, measuring, peeling, chopping, mixing/combining and serving.