One Blue Dot: Environmentally Sustainable Diet Toolkit
What is One Blue Dot?
One Blue Dot is the BDA's Environmentally Sustainable Diet Project, created to help make our Sustainable Diets Policy a reality. On these pages you will find a toolkit of information, graphics, tools and links to help you improve your understanding of environmentally sustianable diets and discuss these with your patients or clients. This is very much a "live" toolkit, and we will be adding more information and tools over the coming months. If you have a suggestion for what we could include to help you promote environmentally sustainable diets, get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org
Why do Environmentally Sustainable Diets matter?
Up to 30% of GHG emmissions in the UK are linked to agriculture and food production, and the environmental impact of the food we eat is one of the key changes we can make to tackle the issue of climate change. The BDA believes dietitians should be able to reconcile the nutritional and environmental science to give consistent messages about a healthy, sustainable and varied diet. They should be aware of the challenges that may result for vulnerable groups and individuals (e.g. those suffering ill health, pregnant women, people on low incomes, and older adults) and be able to provide advice on sustainable eating as appropriate.
One Blue Dot Toolkit
Click the cover pages below to access each document. Nutritional Considerations, Meal Swaps and Other sources of key nutrients are only available to BDA members.
- DEFRA - Green Food Project (2012)
- Eating Better
- FAO - Dietary guidelines and sustainability
- Food Climate Research Network
- Food Ethics Council
- Food Systems Academy
- Marine Conservation Society
- Marine Stewardship Council
- Practice Based Evidence in Nutrition (PEN) - Food Security
- Soil Association
- The EAT-Lancet Commission on Food, Planet, Health
- Love Food Hate Waste and WRAP - tackling food waste
- WWF - Livewell: Healthy Eating for a Healthy Planet
- Plant-based food Food Fact Sheet
- BBC Food calculator: What's your diet's carbon footprint?
The Environmentally Sustainable Diets Toolkit was created by a working group of experts which sits under the BDA's Public Health Specialist Group. Its current members are:
- Ursula Arens
- Linda Convery RD (Chair, BDA Public Health Specialist Group)
- Lynne Garton RD
- Sandra Hood RD
- Dr Pamela Mason RNutr
- Dr Clare Pettinger RD
- Elphee Medici RD (Nutrilicious)
- Tanya Haffner RD (Nutrilicious)
- Kate Arthur RD (Alpro)
- Jo Lewis (BDA)
- Tom Embury (BDA)
Support One Blue Dot
To share this important message on your own social media channels, you can download the images below and use the hashtag #OneBlueDot